Driving in Spain


There are a number of things that may affect you driving in Spain at the moment and after Brexit. This incudes the potential requirement for an International Driving Licence. The latest UK Goverment advice can be found at Driving Abroad.

Please note that the following is a guide to driving regulations in Spain as they apply to UK-resident renters of hire cars. The law does change from time to time so, if in doubt about any of the rules, please consult a Spanish solicitor.

If you are UK citizen resident in Spain, or are about to beome resident, then the UK Government advice can be found here. Of course, Spanish regulations apply and these can be found at dgt.es

Hire Cars Costa Blanca may not be held responsible for any errors or omissions. The law in Spain as it applies to vehicles and drivers may be found at dgt.es

Required documents – the following documents (originals, not copies) must be carried at all times whilst driving:
• Driving licence – paper licence, or photocard and counterfoil
• Passport or other photographic identification
• Rental contract
• Insurance documents

Other items you must carry:
• At least one hi-viz jacket/waistcoat to EN471 standard or equivalent
• 2 warning triangles in case of a breakdown
• Spare set of bulbs
• Accident report form
• A spare set of spectacles if you require them for driving
• Headlamp reflectors must be fitted to RHD vehicles
• If you plan to travel to the Pyrenees in the winter, you should carry snow chains

• All passengers must wear seat belts where fitted
• Children up to age 12 may not sit in the front passenger seat(s)
• The rules for children in the rear seats are broadly similar to those in the UK. Babies must be restrained whether in carrycots or in baby seats. Booster seats are acceptable with restraints for children up to 6 years old and with use of the vehicles seat belts up to the age of 12

Speed limits – speed limits are generally well signed. However, here are the normal limits:
• Built up areas – between 30kph and 50kph
• National roads (identified by N.. or CN..) – between 50kph and 100kph
• Dual carriageways (autovia) – usually between 80kph and 100kph
• Motorways (autopista or peaje) – 120kph

You may not use the following equipment whilst driving:
• Mobile phones – unless fitted with a full hands free kit
• Radar detection devices
• Video players
• Internet devices
• Be wary of playing with your GPS unit unnecessarily

General information:
• DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! The limit is low at 0.5mg of alcohol per millilitre of blood. The penalties can be severe.
• The police can (and will) impose on-the-spot fines

• Do not assume that because a car is indicating or is in a particular lane that it intends to follow a logical path

There is no selected car class in current office. Please choose another Class!